While a fatal overdose caused solely by marijuana is unlikely, marijuana is not harmless. The signs of using too much marijuana are similar to the typical effects of using marijuana but more severe. These signs may include:
fast heart rate
delusions or hallucinations
increased blood pressure
severe nausea or vomiting
In some cases, these effects can lead to unintentional injury, such as a motor vehicle crash, fall, or poisoning. Overconsumption of marijuana can happen especially when using marijuana-infused products like edibles and beverages, since it can take up to 2 hours to feel the effects from the drug.1 Infants or young children who accidentally ingest marijuana are more likely to require hospital admission compared to older children who ingest similar concentrations due to their smaller size and weight and increased severity of symptoms.16
Marijuana may be laced with other substances, either known or unknown to the consumer. Using marijuana in combination with other substances may result in greater impairment than when using marijuana alone and may increase the risk of overdose.
Learn more about marijuana and potential risk of poisoning.
If you or someone you know is showing signs that might suggest they have used too much marijuana, call poison control center at: at 1-800-222-1222. In case of emergency, call 9-1-1.